Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Brefdas

Wednesday, February 3, 2010; La Quinta Inn, San Bernardino, California; 7:43 AM

Yesterday afternoon, I got my third roommate (and hopefully my last). Mark appears to be in his mid 40s, and he’s actually an out-of-work pilot. Talker, too. Which isn’t bad, because he’s very friendly, which was a welcome relief from Vince’s surly cynicism.

Through the course of the evening I was able to pick up on a couple of intriguing idiosyncrasies. Mark uses the phrase “you know” a lot. Not just often, but repetitively. I think I counted 5 times in a row in one sentence.

He also pronounces the word breakfast as “brefdas.” Which I found very interesting.

I was sitting here watching the season premier of Lost on Hulu.com when I decided to take a break from it to write this blog. Just as I was typing the word “sentence” above, my phone rang. It was Mike Berger, my driver trainer. He was calling to tell me that his truck is now number 1 in line at the shop, but not that it matters, since he just received notification that I’ve been reassigned away from him, so I should be expecting a call from a different trainer soon.

Hopefully that is true, and hopefully my new trainer will be a nice guy, too. Unfortunately, I was really looking forward to driving with Mike in his brand new Peterbuilt… What I hope even more, is that I don’t get put on a bus to Dallas like several of the other guys from my orientation class.

This is becoming a joke… though I’m having a hard time seeing the humor in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment