Monday, February 1, 2010

A Tragedy Avoided

Yesterday while taking a nap, Tammy called and woke me up. That was really sweet of her. Within seconds I could hear Cordelia begging for the phone. It was cute. So I talked to my princess for a few minutes before Cordy gave the phone back to Tammy without warning.

Right away, my call-waiting beeped. I didn’t recognize the number, but I knew I was supposed to be available to answer my phone 24 hours a day, in case the call came. So I told Tammy, “I’m getting a call. I have to take this.”

Lo and behold: it was Mike Berger. A driver trainer calling to tell me that I’ve been assigned to him.

AWESOME!

Of course he said that his truck needs some work, even though it is apparently a brand new truck that had some factory parts go out. So it may be a while before we can get out. He said he’d call this morning, so not to leave the motel until I hear from him.

We had been instructed to attend a 6:30 meeting here in the motel every morning Mon-Fri as long as we’re staying here (which is the company’s way of making sure we’re still here, I think). We had also been told to call our Student Driver Manager (basically our dispatcher as students) after the meeting. So, even though I have heard from my driver trainer, I decided to call my SDM anyway (Lori Watts). She wants me to call her back in 15 minutes… so I’m using this time to blog.

First impression of Mike (based on 2 minutes on the phone): He’s a nice guy.
First impression of Lori (based on less than 30 seconds on the phone): She hates her job.

Second impression of Lori: She must have been stressed when I called the first time. She sounded much nicer the second time. Nothing new to report. She said call back later if I still haven't heard from Mike by this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment