Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Journey Begins

The bus ride was uneventful. It seemed no fewer than ¼ of the riders were Hispanic and took this opportunity to chatter throughout the entire ride. Other than preventing anybody else from sleeping, they seemed to be extremely pleasant. I got maybe 45 minutes total of sleep on the 13 hour bus ride. I’m sleepy.

So… I’ve arrived at La Quinta Inn, San Bernardino. They have a shuttle service to pick up new arrivals at the Greyhound Station, but they aren’t able to start shuttling until after 9AM. Because the bus arrived at 6:05, the shuttle was not exactly the best option for me, unless I wanted to hang around the somewhat seedy-looking depot.

Knowing this beforehand I had already planned ahead. I knew I needed to catch the southbound bus on route 2. The closest stop was on E Street and 6th. Two blocks directly east of the Greyhound station – unfortunately I took directions from the homeless guy just outside the station… when I asked which way was east, he pointed me south. Once I reached G Street and 4th, I figured out what was wrong and as I could now see the sun starting to peak over the hills, I knew which way was east. It was quite the walk, what with the heavy luggage and Utah-based warm clothes.

Apparently Werner is putting us up in shared quarters. I’ve just met Josh, from Roy. He seems to be a nice guy. Smoker, though… oh well.

More tomorrow (hopefully).

No comments:

Post a Comment